Thursday, July 26, 2012

{Skinny} Grilled Chicken and Roasted Broccoli Alfredo

You want to know what really makes this recipe fantastic?

No, not the juicy grilled chicken.

No, not even the amazingly rich and creamy sauce that harbors no such lurking fats like cream or butter (well, ok, if I'm going to be serious, the sauce is pretty darn fantastic. But I digress...).

What, then??

The broccoli. Oh my.

If you have never tasted roasted broccoli in your life before, please take a few minutes and treat yourself. Yes, I mean, go now, to the store and buy a head of broccoli (are they called heads?), chop it up, throw some oil on that baby and start it roasting.

Ok, where were we? While your broccoli is roasting we can finish our discussion. About what? Oh, yes. Roasted broccoli. By they time I have you drooling your own roasted broccoli will be done and then you'll thank me, ok?

SO.

My husband is a self-proclaimed broccoli disliker (he is so sweet, he would never use the word "hate"). So, even though I like it, I usually forgo it to make other veggies we both like.

Asparagus, for example.

Anyway, when he bit into a piece of the roasted broccoli included in this fabulous meal, he said something to the effect that if everyone made broccoli like that, no one would be a hater. Well, maybe not in those words. But you get the idea. He loved it! I told him that the blogger on the site where I learned how to work such magic said it was better than biting into a steak and he actually said, "I could see why she would say that..."

!!!

Something about the roasting really brings out the good side of broccoli and gives it that oh-so-yummy sort of crispiness. And doused in a fair amount of Alfredo? Don't get me started.

So, SO different than steamed broccoli. K?

Seriously, there's no way you'd know this was a "skinny" recipe if I didn't tell you.  The sauce is rich and creamy and melty like any good Alfredo. I kept having to remind myself that there was no butter and no cream involved. Crazy! I guess the Greek yogurt must be the secret weapon, because there's hardly even any milk!

So go ahead. Pretend like you're indulging.



{Skinny} Grilled Chicken and Roasted Broccoli Alfredo
makes 4 servings

2-3 chicken breasts, grilled and cut into chunks (about 2 cups)
2 cups broccoli florets
8 oz. fettuccine
2 TB olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic
2 TB flour
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup skim milk
1/4 tsp pepper
pinch of nutmeg
3/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated

To roast broccoli, preheat oven to 425. Toss florets with a small amount of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast on foil lined cookie sheet 15-20 min. or until crisp-tender. Set aside.
Cook pasta according to package directions.
To make sauce, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over med-low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is golden, about 2 min. Whisk in flour until smooth, about 2 min. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, yogurt, milk, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer about 3 min. or until the mixture thickens, stirring gently. Stir in cheese until melted.
Toss pasta, chicken, broccoli and sauce to combine and evenly coat.

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to make this, cuz I keep seeing it on Pinterest, but I've pinned so many "skinny" recipes I can't remember if I ever actually pinned this one. I'm going to pin yours just to make sure it wasn't overlooked. And I love love love roasted broccoli. In my opinion everything is just better roasted! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...