Friday, November 4, 2011

Copycat Cornbread: {Famous Dave's Sweet Corn Muffins}

Sometimes on chilly afternoons when I've pulled a leftover soup out of the freezer and put it in the crock pot, I feel a bit more adventurous about tackling a side dish. We have soup once a week (Wednesdays) and for a side we usually rotate between cornbread or muffins, rolls, and biscuits. This past Wednesday, we were having chicken tortilla soup (which I will share with you soon!), so corn muffins sounded like just the ticket.


 But, I've been a little bored lately with my standard corn muffin recipe. So, as usual when I'm looking for inspiration, I scoured the internet. I came across one blogger whose corn muffin recipe instantly got my attention. If you've ever been the the barbecue restaurant Famous Dave's, that should give you a clue. If you've never been to one, it is a chain featuring all things barbecue- and it's delicious! The atmosphere is what you would expect of a barbecue place, all about the meat and the hearty sides. One of those hearty sides is their famous corn muffins, slathered in honey butter. They are the perfect mix of sweet and savory, with a bit of corn crunch on the outside, while being absolutely moist inside. There is also just the faintest hint of a trademark "bite" in the aftertaste, owing to the dash of cayenne pepper.


As I looked down the list of ingredients, however, I was surprise by several unusual additions...cake mix? Mayonnaise?


 It intrigued me, so I had to try them. I was a little afraid the muffins would turn out like cupcakes with all that cake mix, but I needn't have worried. They were corn muffins through and through.

See? Very much a corn muffin. :)
And they were delicious (though I suspect, not low in calories...but that's beside the point)! And true to the original. Although I haven't been to Famous Dave's for awhile, I can testify that the flavor and texture stuck with me, and these make for a delicious home version when you're craving that legendary barbecue goodness.


I doubled the recipe (which ended up making about 32 muffins- perfect for freezing convenience!) because it called for a 9 oz. package of cake mix. I do not think such a size exists, the standard size being 18 oz. So, instead of leaving myself with half a box of cake mix to figure out what to do with, I simply doubled all the other ingredients as well.
Adding whole kernel corn to the mix (like Pennies on a Platter suggests) is not necessary- I don't believe they are found in the original, and I did not add it to mine (though I was in indecision about it, as you see the bag of corn in my picture!), but if you like whole corn in your cornbread, by all means, throw some in! I'm sure Famous Dave won't mind...much.

Can you resist me?
Sweet Corn Bread Muffins
(printable version)
adapted from Pennies on a Platter
makes about 32

4 cups yellow corn meal (finely ground- stone ground could result in very crunchy muffins)
1 package yellow cake mix (I used white)
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup milk
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
4 TB brown sugar
4 TB honey
2 TB of Miracle Whip (I hate the stuff, so I just used mayo)
1 can of drained whole kernel corn, if desired

Whisk together first 5 ingredients, set aside. Combine next 6 ingredients in another bowl and mix well. Add to the cornmeal mixture and stir gently- there should be no lumps, but do not over mix. Fold in mayo and corn (if using).
Let rest, covered, in fridge 30 min. or overnight.
Preheat oven to 400. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake 15-20 min (mine were done at 15) or until tops are golden. Let cool in pan a few minutes; remove to wire rack. Serve with butter and honey if desired.
Source: Pennies on a Platter

3 comments:

  1. these were good right out of the oven, but the next day they were very dry and not at all like Famous Dave's... sadly, I followed the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry they were dry the next day! When I made them I immediately froze the leftovers so each time I pulled them out of the freezer they were fresh. I don't know how long they keep well without freezing.

      Delete
  2. These are sooo not Famous Dave's. Run from this recipe. Cayenne pepper made it taste awful and too spicy. The muffins turned into a brick the next day

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...