Monday, March 5, 2012

Lime-Cilantro Pork Tacos {or Fajitas?}

I am in a debate with myself today. Maybe you can help me. This delicious recipe calls itself a taco. But is it a taco? It seems more like a fajita to me. Maybe it's all the onions...when we ate them last night, Hubby and I decided they were most definitely fajitas. But after reading several online articles this morning debating the differences between tacos, fajitas and burritos, I fear my meal is having an identity crisis!

Anyhow, I am dying to try this fantastically flavored dish on our grill this summer. Ah, summer...it seems so far away as I look out my window to a snow-covered yard. But alas! Even without the grill, this taste-of-summer fare was superb. Juicy thin slices of pork, seared sweet onions and jalapeno simmered with tomatoes in a lime-cilantro sauce...have I mentioned my obsession with cilantro?

Oh. Well, it's high time! The addition of fresh cilantro to a dish simply brings a bright, clean flavor and a spark that cannot be imitated. I tried dried cilantro...once. Ick. There is no comparison. I was so excited to learn that you can freeze fresh chopped cilantro! YAY! This is good news to a cilantro-loving girl who lives in a rural community and shops once a month. Fresh cilantro only keeps about a week in the fridge, so being able to freeze it for future use is a huge discovery for me. Coupled with lime, it infuses such a bold flavor into these juicy tacos...er, fajitas? Anyhow. They're bold. Who cares what you call 'em?



Lime-Cilantro Pork Tacos
adapted from My Recipes
serves 4 (2 tacos per serving)

1 lb. pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into thin strips
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1 med. onion, thinly sliced
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 med. tomato, chopped
3 TB chopped fresh cilantro
2 1/2 TB lime juice
8 (6 in.) flour tortillas
Sour cream, if desired

Heat a large skillet over med-high heat. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Add oil to pan. Add pork and saute about 4 min. or until browned. Remove pork from pan and set aside.
Add onion and jalapeno to pan; saute 5 min. or until tender. Add broth, reduce heat and simmer 1 min. Stir in tomato, simmer 2 min.
Return pork and any juices to pan. Stir in cilantro and lime juice, cook 1 min. or until pork is done.
Warm tortillas and serve with about 1/2 cup pork mixture per tortilla. Top with sour cream if desired.

Source: myrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...