Monday, March 26, 2012

Creamy Avocado Pasta

I know, I know. Don't tell me. I'm a week late to be making green pasta. Seems like it would be a clever thing to whip up for St. Patty's Day, right? Well, that's taking for granted that you plan ahead. And remember holidays. Which I didn't. So...here's some yummy green pasta...a week(+) late!
This pasta combines flavor from some of the yummiest green foods there are: avocado, lime, jalapeƱo, spinach and basil. Add garlic and pasta to that lineup and you know you're going to encounter some serious deliciousness.

While the making of the sauce did have me wishing I owned a snazzy food processor (or even a not-so-snazzy one!), my blender accomplished the task eventually. I think it prefers smoothies though.
Though coupling the rather exotic and south-of-the-border flavors with spaghetti seemed a bit unusual, it was a delicious new twist on pasta for me. The flavors blended fabulously and the bright green color was fun! I served it alongside chicken breast which I also pan fried in lime juice- a zesty compliment to the filling and creamy pasta.



Creamy Avocado Pasta
serves 4

1 ripe avocado, pitted
1/2 lime
2 garlic cloves
1/4 jalapeno
1/4 cup packed fresh basil
2 cups spinach, divided
1 tsp salt
pepper
2 TB olive oil
1/4 cup Parmesan
1 lb. whole wheat spaghetti (I did not use this much- only about 1/2 a box)

Cook noodles according to package directions. When you drain the noodles, reserve 1 cup of the cooking water. Put one cup of the spinach in the bottom of a serving bowl; top with drained spaghetti and toss for a few minutes to wilt spinach.
While pasta is cooking, prepare sauce. Combine in food processor: flesh from avocado, zest of lime as well as juice, garlic, jalapeno, basil, remaining cup of spinach, salt, pepper to taste, and oil. Blend until smooth.
Pour sauce over pasta and toss to coat evenly, adding some reserved cooking water as needed to loosen pasta. Top with Parmesan and more basil for garnish.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...