Friday, March 30, 2012

Chocolate Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Rounds

I am always on the hunt for a new cookie recipe but, when I'm in a hurry or am low on ingredients, I usually fall back on oatmeal cookies. They are delicious, versatile, and a favorite with just about everyone. This time, however, when I consulted my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, my eye fell on a recipe called Peanut Butter Oatmeal Rounds. Containing peanut butter, they naturally had my attention. But when I continued reading and spied a Chocolate-Peanut Butter variation, it was love at first sight. I tweaked the recipe a little bit, mainly to include some chopped Hershey's chocolate. What could be better than adding chocolate chunks?


 The combination did not let me down. These cookies are fudgy and full of that chocolate peanut butter flavor, while still retaining the traditional, chewy oatmeal cookie qualities that I love. As usual, the test came when we had our evening Bible study- by the end of the night, the heaping plate of cookies was entirely empty. Score!


Chocolate Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Rounds
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens "New" Cookbook
makes about 3 doz. cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 oz. melted and cooled baking chocolate (or equivalent in baking cocoa)
1 1/4 cups flour
2 cups rolled oats
2 chopped Hershey bars (or chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 375.
In large mixing bowl, beat butter and peanut butter until smooth, about 30 sec. Add sugars, baking powder and soda. Beat until combined.
Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in chocolate.
Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer; stir in any remaining flour. Stir in oats and chopped chocolate (or chips).
Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet, about 2 in. apart. Bake about 10 min. or until edges are set.
Cool on wire rack.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...