Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Peaches & Cream Oatmeal



I don't know about you, but I have fantastic childhood memories revolving around those itty bitty packets of Quaker Oats instant oatmeal. We LOVED those as kids. In fact, I still love them.

For our family, those were usually a special treat reserved for our annual camping trip (other special treats included Spam, Svenhard's Danish pastries, sugary cold cereal from those fun little boxes, Dinty Moore stew, etc.). They were also a staple breakfast item at my great-grandma's house. She kept strictly to the Apples & Cinnamon flavor. I've loved just about every flavor I've tried, especially the "& Cream" varieties (with perhaps the exception of "Bananas & Cream").

Recently when Hubby and I took our own camping trip, I couldn't help but snag a box of the "& Cream" instant oatmeal packets. They were of course fantastic (I avoided the banana). One day when I was enjoying the "Peaches & Cream" variety, I stirred in a few chopped ripe peaches (a great idea, by the way) and that got my wheels turning.

So back at home, I created my own homemade version of "Peaches & Cream" oatmeal. It isn't instant, mind you, but it is delicious. No powdered "cream" or dehydrated peaches here- this is the real stuff. And boy, is it good. I used peaches that I had previously peeled, sliced and frozen (no thawing necessary), but I think it will work equally as well with fresh or canned peaches. Another bonus to making your own is that you can adjust the portion size! This recipe makes a pretty hearty 2 person meal and is perfect for these chilly fall mornings!



Homemade Peaches & Cream Oatmeal
by Jenn
makes 2 hearty servings

3 cups water
dash salt
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup chopped peaches
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 TB brown sugar
2 TB heavy cream or half and half

Bring water and salt to boiling in a small saucepan. Stir in oats and peaches and reduce to medium heat. 
Cook 5-8 min., stirring occasionally, or until most of the liquid is absorbed (or until it reaches desired consistency- remember the oatmeal will thicken somewhat as it cools). 
Remove from heat and stir in spices and brown sugar. Stir in cream.

1 comment:

  1. That looks really yummy! I'll have to try making that for the girls soon. They've been begging me to buy them oatmeal at the store, but the sales haven't been great, so I haven't wanted to waste my coupon on it, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...