Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chicken {or Tuna} Noodle Salad

There is one point on which my husband and I do not agree (okay, so there's a couple, but really, not very many!). 

Tuna. 

He hates it. I enjoy it. 

I grew up on tuna- my mom LOVES it! She eats it almost every day, on crackers, on sandwiches, in salads...her mom also loves it, so I guess it's hereditary. 

However, even though my husband grew up eating tuna casserole (and I did not...hmmm...maybe we've got something there), he does NOT like tuna. So, like a good wife (haha) I do not force him to eat it. 

However, this summer I've had a craving for my mom's tuna noodle salad. The perfect summer meal, it doesn't require an oven, requires minimal preparation and uses simple ingredients you probably already have. The only point my mom and I disagree on is the temperature. She likes to serve it while the noodles are still warm- I like to make it ahead of time so it will be chilled. 

Anyhow, back to the problem. Tuna. I decided to make a compromise. I'd make the salad, but substitute canned chicken for the tuna! Hardly anybody can tell the difference between chicken salad and tuna salad anyway, so why not? Hubby will be happy not to have to eat tuna and smell that fishy smell in the house and I can have my salad. :) Yum!




Chicken (or Tuna) Noodle Salad
serves 4-6

1 pkg. spiral noodles (or shape of your choice)
1 large can of chicken (or tuna), drained
about 1/2 cup chopped celery
about 1/2 cup diced cheddar cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise, or more to taste
2 TB mustard, or more to taste
salt and pepper

Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Place in a large serving bowl.
Add remaining ingredients to noodles and mix thoroughly to combine. Salt and pepper to taste. If desired, cover and chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...