Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

Can we just establish, here and now, that I am a HUGE snickerdoodle fan? OK, now that we have that taken care of, we can move on.


Whether you prefer soft (like I do) or crispy snickerdoodles, home baked (who wouldn't?) or store bought (for emergencies), certainly we must all agree to the certain charm of sugar and cinnamon lightly coating a sweet, buttery cookie...if this isn't you, don't stop reading here. I shall convince you.


I am rather locally famous (I say this with modesty of course) for my traditional snickerdoodles, which is only the recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, but which I try to keep soft and light (as stated before, I generally am not a champion of crispy cookies). But this fall, I made a discovery which has changed my world forever. Please sit down. Pumpkin snickerdoodles (oh wait, you probably already read the title...oh well...proceed). The first time I tried this recipe, it was with fear and trepidation, hoping the addition of pumpkin and several new spices would not mar the perfection that is the snickerdoodle. But with one bite, I knew. Not only was it delicious, a sneaking admission hovered on the edges of my mind. Was it...could it be...better? Yes, I think it is even a step beyond perfection, if such a thing there may be. They are light and airy and a beautiful golden hue. There is a definitive flavor of fall to these perfect little morsels, but I would be happy to make them any time of the year! Especially considering my freezer is already stocked with frozen homemade puree. And there are seven more home-grown (not by me- my mother-in-law!) in my pantry waiting to become puree. Which means...over 14 cups of pumpkin puree waiting in the wings. Maybe I should give some away... :)


The process of making these adorable, sparkly little things is really very similar to traditional snickerdoodles, except the addition of a couple of extra ingredients, pumpkin and nutmeg to the dough, ginger and allspice to the sugar/cinnamon mixture they are coated with.


Once you have all the ingredients well mixed, you roll them in the sugar and spice mixture, pop them in the oven to bake, and begin anticipating wonderful aromas and even more wonderful flavors. Don't forget to let them cool a bit before sneaking a nibble!!


By the way, as I was writing, I began to be curious about the origin of the name "Snickerdoodle"...I looked it up on Wikipedia, but wasn't sure I should share...don't want you to lose your appetite! ;) BUT...here's the link if you're feeling adventurous.

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
(printable version)
by Pennies on a Platter
makes around 3 dozen

1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
3 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg


For coating:
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Dash allspice


Combine butter and sugars; mix with electric mixer 2 to 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Stir in pumpkin. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well blended.
In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add gradually to wet mixture and blend until fully incorporated. 
Chill at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350. Mix coating ingredients in small bowl.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper or grease lightly. Form dough into 1 in. balls and roll in coating. Place on sheet and flatten lightly, dipping instrument in sugar mixture if necessary to prevent sticking.
Bake about 12 minutes or until lightly golden but still soft. Cool a couple of minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Cool completely.
Enjoy!


Originally by Dlyn

2 comments:

  1. Jenn, you are amazing, thanks for posting this recipe! I couldn't eat enough of these little guys at thanksgiving! :) Now I can have them anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, those look good. I'm more of a soft snicker doodle kind of gal too ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...