Thursday, December 1, 2011

Coffee and Cream Drops


I have expounded in previous posts about my love for coffee and chocolate and my subsequent adoration of anything combining the two, so I won't bore you by composing another monologue on that subject. That said, however, I must share with you a new cookie discovery employing the combination of those very two blessed ingredients! Just a glance at the name and I knew I had to try them. If you have seen my kitchen, you would know too. It is practically a shrine to coffee (except that would be irreverent, so I can't exactly call it a shrine...a tribute, perhaps?). Anyhow, this cookie recipe is a delightful combination of flavors, with chocolate taking center stage and coffee slipping into the background. I think using espresso powder would bring the coffee taste out more. Another name for this cookie (I think) could be "Two-tone mocha chip cookies". You know the Java Chip Frappuccino at Starbucks? This is kind of like that in cookie form. It is especially unique because not all the flavors are mixed together- they sit companionably side-by-side, and are melded together in the oven.


The dough begins as a basic, chocolate chip type cookie dough, with coffee added. Then, you divide it in half.
One half becomes fudgy and chocolaty with the addition of cream and cocoa powder.


The other gets dressed up with chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate for more chocolaty power!!).


Then, place little bits of each next to each other on the cookie sheet (you will need to coax them to get a little cozy! Hugging is encouraged). :)

Come on, you two. Get close.
That's more like it!
Then, when baked, the two are magically melded into one! I could make this into a good marriage analogy, but I think I'll just leave it right there. The two tones make a beautiful cookies, and the flavors are delicious.

See? Magic!
 The textures are almost identical, though the chocolate side is definitely more fudgy. A perfect addition to any cookie tray- especially wherever coffee is served!!


As you can see, I have some spare coffee beans- I knew they'd come in handy one of these days! :)


Coffee and Cream Drops
(printable version)
makes 48 (the book says- mine made about 42)

2 TB instant coffee crystals (or instant espresso powder)
3 TB light cream or half and half
1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup chocolate pieces (mini or reg.- your choice of chocolate)

Preheat oven to 375.
Stir coffee crystals into 1 TB of the cream until they dissolve; set aside.
Beat butter with mixer 30 seconds. Add sugars, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined. Beat in coffee mixture, egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir any remaining in with wooden spoon.
Divide dough in half. Stir remaining cream and cocoa powder into one portion. Stir chocolate pieces into the remaining plain dough portion. Spoon a scant teaspoon of each dough side by side onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Press doughs together.
Bake 8 to 9 minutes or until just set. Cool 1 min, remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Source: Better Homes and Gardens "Biggest Book of Cookies", pg. 25

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...