Saturday, October 15, 2011

Crock-Pot Chicken Stew



So, as you see, I am still on a soup kick. In fact, I may be on a soup kick for awhile! These chilly fall days have me hankering constantly for that pleasant aroma to fill my home and that warm, hearty liquid to slip down my throat. Especially on days like yesterday (and today)- when I'm down with a cold. I had planned on our usual Friday night pizza, but when I woke up feeling under the weather, I decided something a little more soothing was in order. A favorite stand-by of ours (especially since I almost always have all the ingredients!), Crock-Pot Chicken Stew, sounded perfect. This recipe was given to me in a box of family favorites by my sisters as a wedding gift. It is a treasure and this particular recipe comes from my sister-in-law, Chelsia over at Catz in the Kitchen! It is an extremely comforting, adaptable soup, equally at home with your company dinner as with your curl-up-on-the-couch dinner. It can be served alone or with the addition of some fresh hot biscuits, rolls, French bread or corn muffins.



Crock-Pot Chicken Stew
(printable version)
serves 4-6

2-3 medium potatoes, cubed (you can leave the skins on or peel, whatever your preference)
2-3 large carrots, sliced (about 2 cups)
2 stalks celery, sliced
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 lb. chicken breast, cubed (it is best if you use uncooked chicken, because it ends up so tender if it is simmered long in the broth)
2 (14 oz) cans chicken broth (or substitute homemade broth)- divided
2/3 cup flour
1 tsp dried basil
3/4 tsp dried rosemary
3/4 tsp dried tarragon
1/4 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
3/4-1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine carrots, celery and all but 1 cup chicken broth in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 2 hrs. (Sometimes if I'm in a hurry or I won't be around later, I skip this step and simply cook the whole thing- minus cream, salt and pepper- on low 6-8 hrs). 
Stir flour into remaining broth until smooth. Stir into slow cooker, add chicken, peas, potatoes and herbs. Cover and cook 4 hrs on high. 
Stir in salt, pepper and cream.

1 comment:

  1. I love this stew so so much! It's got such an awesome variety of flavors!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...