Friday, August 12, 2011

Chocolate Marbled Peanut Butter Pie


Last night as I was going to bed, I was looking through my twitter feed and saw a recurring theme among my favorite foodie bloggers. The hashtag #apieformikey had me curious, so this morning I googled it (the way I learn everything). What a sad story that is turning into something beautiful! Last week, chef and food blogger Jennie Perillo lost her husband Mikey to a sudden heart attack. She had no time to say goodbye (read the whole story here). So, in his memory, and as a way to remind us all that life hangs by a thread, she says this: "For those asking what they can do to help my healing process, make a peanut butter pie this Friday and share it with someone you love. Then hug them like there's no tomorrow because today is the only guarantee we can count on." Mikey loved Jennie's creamy peanut butter pie and she said she had been meaning to make it for awhile. Now her chance is gone.
Today, as Jennie and her loved ones gather around to remember Mikey, I am making a peanut butter pie for my husband and some special friends. Lord, help me to receive each day you give us breath with gratefulness and joy!
"So teach us to number our days, that we may get a heart of wisdom." - Psalm 90:12



Hershey's Chocolate Marbled Peanut Butter Pie
(printable version)
from the Hershey's Cookbook
6-8 servings
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 tub (8 oz.) Cool-Whip, thawed
1 graham crust
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Beat first 3 ingredients until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar and milk, beating until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Place 1 cup peanut butter mixture in separate bowl. Spread remaining mixture in crust.
Melt chocolate chips in microwave, stirring every 30 sec. until smooth. Stir chocolate into reserved peanut butter mixture, blending thoroughly; drop by tablespoons onto top of pie. Using knife or spatula, gently swirl for marbled effect.
Cover; freeze 4 to 5 hours or until firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...