Thursday, November 29, 2012

Penne Gorgonzola with Chicken



I have recently discovered another love. Can you guess what it is?

I suppose "cheese" would always be a safe guess. And if that's what you said, you'd be darn right! No, I haven't recently discovered a love for cheese in general. I have loved cheese since...well, probably since I could eat cheese! But for many, many years, my knowledge of cheese was limited to varying shades of cheddar. Which is amazing, by the way. But along the way of my cooking journey, I have discovered SO MANY kinds of cheeses! Amazing cheeses!! Soft cheese, hard cheese, crumbly cheese. Who knew there were so many kinds to love??

Among the many textures, flavors, and colors, there is one in particular that I have recently been over the moon about. Gorgonzola. OH. MY. GOODNESS. This cheese is so incredible. I think it started on our anniversary this summer when we ate an appetizer of Gorgonzola Waffle Fries with a Gorgonzola dipping sauce. I could have eaten that alone for dinner. Every once in a while, I daydream about it. Wish I could find a way to replicate it. *sigh*

Anyways, this cheese, with its contrasting sharpness and sweetness, has captured my heart and my taste buds, which is why I cannot wait to share this fabulous pasta recipe with you! It is creamy and flavorful and laced with the pleasant flavors and aroma of fresh herbs and a quality cheese.





Penne Gorgonzola with Chicken
slightly adapted from Taste of Home
serves 8

1 package (16 oz) whole wheat penne pasta
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 in. pieces
1 TB olive oil
1 lg. garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 cups (8 oz.) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
6 to 8 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
extra Gorgonzola and fresh parsley for garnish

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, over med. heat, brown chicken in oil on all sides. Add garlic, cook 1 min. longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
Add cream and broth; cook until sauce is slightly thickened and chicken is no longer pink. Stir in the Gorgonzola cheese, sage, salt and pepper. Cook just until cheese is melted.
Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with additional cheese and parsley.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, do you shop at Costco? They sell Gorgonzola in a huge a package for a seriously great price. Way cheaper than at any grocery store! Craig and I love it on our salads with some Italian dressing and dried cranberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't but I've sure been thinking about getting a membership! That sounds wonderful!! I love it on salads too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...