Friday, June 22, 2012

{Slow Cooker} Butter Chicken

Ah, the slow cooker. Perfect in all seasons. Lending to your home that pleasant aroma that makes you look like you've been slaving over a hot stove all day.

Though slightly more exotic than your ordinary crock pot roasts, pulled pork and soups, this delicious dish is also a product of the slow cooker! Though its name may sound anything but exotic, Butter Chicken is a delicious Indian dish including many more ingredients than just butter.

Garam masala for one.

I accidentally overlooked this ingredient when making out my grocery list, so as I pulled out the recipe, I panicked. I didn't even know what it was! Thanks to Google, I now know that garam masala is an aromatic Indian spice blend. It seems that the spices are traditionally roasted whole and freshly ground, which produces excellent flavor. Of course, I couldn't quite replicate that, however, I did find a recipe for "easy garam masala" (it'll do in a pinch!) that, to my unexperienced tastebuds, was delicious!

The entire dish was laced with spice- hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, with a kick from fresh ginger and cloves. I served it over rice and it was fantastic- tender chicken breast cubes, creamy, nutty, spice-laden sauce and fresh cilantro to top it all off. I think I'd call my foray into Indian cuisine a success!



Butter Chicken
from AllYou Magazine
serves 6-8

4 TB unsalted butter
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 lb. boneless chicken breast or thighs, cut into 2 in. pieces
1 2 in. piece fresh ginger, cut into 1/2 in. slices
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 cup plain yogurt (not nonfat)
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 TB chopped fresh cilantro, if desired

Melt butter in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown (5-7 min). Scrape into slow cooker. Place chicken pieces on top.
Combine ginger, garlic, almonds, yogurt, garam masala and salt in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Add tomatoes and pulse once to combine. Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on low until chicken is tender, 4 to 5 hours.
Stir in heavy cream, cover and heat until warm, about 5 min. Serve with rice and sprinkle with cilantro just before serving, if desired.

1 comment:

  1. I wish Cilantro was my thing right now. It just ain't. I'm sure I'll be giving this whirl once the baby is here and I find myself heavily relying even more on my crockpot than I already do :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...