Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Tale of Two Soups (Turkey Chowder/Beef-Barley Soup)

This is a tale of two soups that I made
Both in the crockpot and both blogposts delayed.
I am rhyming this post for no apparent reason
Maybe I've lost it- maybe it's just the season.
On any account I hope you enjoy it
If I ever finish and don't decide to destroy it!
Getting back to the soups- well, one was a chowder...
But they both were a hit, so I couldn't be prouder.
One began as a turkey, the other a roast
I was satisfied with each, so I'll try not to boast.

The week before Thanksgiving I cooked the turkey
I wanted my own leftovers, you see.
So when we were done with what we could eat
To the freezer went the rest of the meat.
Later on when we'd come back
I took the turkey out of it's freezer sack
And popped in the crockpot this recipe dear
One I'd found online after Thanksgiving last year.
It came from a place called Recipezaar
I if I would rate it, I'd give it more than one star!
Probably five, it's really that good
If you have turkey, then try it you should!
It involves mostly veggies and broth, of course
Chicken, unless you make turkey broth straight from the source!
I guess what makes it a chowder is the flour
Which you cook with the onion before simmering for hours.
A special flair that you put in this dish
A half cup of apple juice which makes it delish!
Homestyle goodness and a tangy flavor
This is one chowder that you'll want to savor!

The second soup, as I said, was a roast
But it was bad news- I might even say "toast!"
The meat was fatty and chewy and gross
I thought I might thow it out- and came close.
But I hoped maybe I could redeem it with soup
We'd just see if my meat could jump through that hoop!
It needed some tenderizing- maybe soup would be just the thing
And a church dinner was coming and I needed something to bring.
So later I trimmed all the fatty parts down
And chopped up the good parts- I sure went to town!
I added some veggies (corn, peas, garlic, potato
Celery, carrot and even tomato)
Bay leaf, basil and barley too
Better add broth or this will be stew!
Better Homes & Gardens is the one that I owe
For this delicious recipe that I have to show.
"Beef-Barley Soup" proved to be just right
Savory and warm, comfort food to the last bite!

Both of these soups (excuse me...chowder- oh well)
Create in your home a lovely food smell.
They simmer away in the crockpot all day
Ready when you are to keep hunger at bay.
Both can be served with a side that you choose
But here are a few suggestions for what you should use:
Rolls are always a pleaser- that's true
Or you could always go for something that's new.
Biscuits are also an option that's swell
If you use Bisquick, I swear I won't tell!
Cornbread is good, using Jiffy or no
Bread soup-sides are good, however you go!

Hope you will try one or both of these treats
They make quite a lot so you can freeze the rest of the eats.
I love having frozen soups on hand
They make a great quick dinner if you're in a jam.
I think my rhyming's getting poorer- I'd better stop now
But make sure and read the recipes below!




Turkey CHOWDER
(printable version)

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced celery
2 TB butter
2 TB flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
5 cups chicken broth (or 3 cans)
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup sliced zucchini
1/2 cup apple juice (or cider)
3 cups chopped cooked turkey

Cook onion and celery in butter. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and thyme. Slowly add the chicken broth. Combine broth mixture and remaining ingredients in slow cooker. Cover, cook on low 4-6 hrs.

Beef-Barley Soup
(printable version)

12 oz. beef stew meat (or leftover roast!), cut into 1-in. cubes (if not using leftover roast, brown meat in oil before following rest of recipe)
4 14 oz.cans beef broth (or more if needed)
1 cup chopped onion (1 lg)
1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 tsp dried oregano or basil, crushed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (I used 1/2 cup peas & 1/2 cup corn)
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained (may use the Italian variety)
1 cup 1/2-in. cubes peeled potato
2/3 cup regular barley

Combine all ingredients in 6-qt slow cooker. Cover, cook on low for 8-10 hrs or high for 4-5 hrs.

1 comment:

  1. Pure Genius Jenn! I can't believe you were able to write this...well I can believe it, but you know what I mean. So cool ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...