Wednesday, September 25, 2013

{Skinny} Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps

So you know how I've been gone for awhile? I know, I'm sorry about that. Several factors caused the absence...

1)We've been very busy! It started with the county fair and it's not over yet. It's shaping up to be a very full fall/winter what with weddings, vacays, speaking engagements, and the usual fall church schedule! And being busy means I haven't had time to try out very many new recipes.

2) I'm on a sort of a diet. I've been using the MyFitnessPal app and by counting calories and working out more I've lost almost 15 lb. since May! I feel great and I think I'm starting to look better too. I'd still like to lose another 10-15 though. That being said, I'm eating and cooking a little differently. Not all of the recipes I've tried have turned out very well.

3) It's been summer. I'm lazy. There, I said it. Too lazy to take photos, too lazy to write.




So, now that we've got the excuses logged, allow me to introduce you to one of my new favorite "skinny" dinners! Hubby and I just love the freshness of this easy dish! The flavors of the sauce are fantastic and you just can't get over the satisfying crunch of crisp lettuce, cabbage, carrots and smoky toasted almonds. Four of these wraps filled me up and still came in under 400 calories! Serve with brown rice and you've got a light, healthy, satisfying meal that won't add to your waistline!



Skinny Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
adapted from SkinnyMom
makes approx. 12 wraps (serves 3-4)

12 small lettuce leaves or 6 large, halved (we like to use romaine)

Filling: 
1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped or shredded chicken breast (I like to cook mine in the crockpot with a few TB of teriyaki or soy sauce, then shred)
2 cups shredded cabbage & carrots (dry coleslaw mix works perfectly!)
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped or slivered almonds, toasted

Sauce:
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 TB grated fresh ginger
1 TB toasted sesame oil
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

Mix up sauce ingredients until thoroughly combined. To assemble wraps, distribute filling ingredients evenly among lettuce leaves. Drizzle with sauce and roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...