Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pepperoni Pizza Pinwheels

Looking for a quick snack to take to a game day party? Need something to feed to hungry kids or teenagers? Or just a platter of something tasty to fill up the potluck crowd at church? If the last, I can sympathize. This is the "end of the month" grocery-wise for Travis and I, so I was trying to figure out what I could bring to our church potluck that could materialize out of the limited supply left in my cupboards. From somewhere, suddenly it hit me! A genius idea. Pizza pinwheels! I have seen this idea before and I think it originates with Pillsbury, using their crescent dough or pre-made pizza dough- which would work great! But I decided to use my own favorite pizza crust recipe and experiment a little. Wow. These little guys are fantastic- and I if I can keep hubby from eating them all tonight, I think they will disappear tomorrow!


Start with a basic pizza crust recipe. I doubled mine, which you can find here. I opted to leave out the whole wheat flour and did all white instead, but I'm sure it would be great either way. Allow it to rest about 5 minutes, which gives the yeast time to make the dough stretchy. Roll it out on a floured surface into as large a rectangle as you can without it breaking.

Yes, this is a rectangle...ish.

Spread your favorite pizza sauce on top and sprinkle with cheese and any other toppings you like. I just used pepperoni, but anything would really be fantastic.


Starting at one of the long ends, roll tightly, cinnamon roll style.


Slice into 1/2 in. rounds (I used a serrated knife, and it worked pretty well). Arrange on a greased cookie sheet and bake.


Voila! Cheesy, bubbly, pizza filled swirls of yummyness! 


Pepperoni Pizza Pinwheels
(printable version)
A KitchenJoy original recipe
makes about 36 pinwheels

Doubled recipe pizza crust dough
pizza sauce
shredded cheese
pepperoni (or other toppings)

Preheat oven to 425.
Roll out dough very thin into a large rectangle.
Spread sauce on top, sprinkle with cheese. Top with pepperoni.
Starting at a long edge, roll cinnamon roll style.
Slice into 1/2 in. rounds. Place several inches apart on greased baking sheet.
Bake 10-12 min. Let cool 1-2 min, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...